Special Homelessness Services Program
Ungooroo – through funding from the Department of Family and Community Services – provides strengths-based, client-focused casework and support under the Special Homeless Services (SHS) program. Ungooroo’s aim is to empower young people with choices and options. Ungooroo provides pathways for our youth to build their skills to address their homelessness in a supportive environment. We believe in our youth reaching their full potential.
- Our services are for youth aged between 12 and 25 years who identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander and are homeless (or at risk of homelessness). We provide:
- early intervention to stay at home or maintain a stable tenancy
- outreach, casework, support & advocacy
- living skills workshops
- referrals to specialist services
- referrals and access to bulk billing GP services
- education and employment support
- access to transitional accommodation
- access to private rental market
- access to HNSW products and services
- support with services such as Centrelink and Job Network providers
If you are a young person aged between 12 to 25 years, identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander and are homeless or at risk of homelessness, you can contact us directly.
Alternatively, if you know a young person who fits the eligibility criteria, you can make the referral on their behalf. Referrals can be made by the young person’s parents, carers, schools, GP, members of the community, or other support services and agencies.
- Ungooroo’s SHS program covers the Upper and Lower Hunter region. Between our two SHS workers, we cover:
Referrals can be made via CIMS for SHS PROGRAM.