The New Careers for Aboriginal People (NCAP) program assists Aboriginal people in finding work or improving their current job situation. NCAP programs are staffed by Aboriginal people who are in touch with the needs of the Aboriginal communities and have established networks with employers, business groups and training providers within their local region.
Our local NCAP officer is Darren Wright. His current projects include range from Williamtown RAAF Air Base to Cessnock Gaol Expansion.
Cessnock Gaol Expansion
- Working with Lendlease, Darren is recruiting for up to 21 Aboriginal workers for the Cessnock Gaol expansion project. This includes:
- 8 apprentice electricians and plumbers
- 3 labourers
- 10 civil construction trainees (for which Darren is currently seeking funding).
Green Hills Shopping Centre
- Darren has 10 Aboriginal placements at the Green Hills Shopping Centre Expansion Project, consisting of:
- 5 civil construction trainees
- 5 retail staff members.
Dump Truck Drivers
Working with BHP Billiton and Chandler Mcleod, Darren has recently placed 25 trainee dump truck operators with a view to having 75 operators on site before June 2017.
Working with Veolia waste management company, Darren is looking to increase their Indigenous employment targets by providing 1- to 15 traineeships with longer-term jobs available at the end of the traineeship.
Williamtown RAAF Air Base
Working with Lendlease, Darren has continued to assist with the provision of Indigenous workers since 2014. Darren has placed 22 workers in sustained employment plus a further ten in trainee positions (9 civil construction trainees and 1 administrative placement who currently works part-time while she is being supported through university.
Your NCAP officer can assist
- Darren can assist employers by:
- providing advice on Aboriginal recruitment and selection
- matching Aboriginal job seekers within your business
- advising on workplace cultural matters for new Aboriginal employees
- providing a link to local Aboriginal communities
- providing training advice for existing Aboriginal employees
- referral advice to other services and programs
- act as a link between employers and job-active organisations
- ongoing mentoring for Aboriginal employees and employers.
- Under the NCAP Program Darren has assisted industry with the recruitment and retention of Indigenous employees and trainees for major projects, including:
- Abi Group Hunter Expressway project
- Downer EDI Planter Operator project (in partnership with Peabody Energy)
- NACC Facilities project at RAAF Williamtown.
As part of the recruitment and retention process, Darren monitors job placements to ensure that both employers and employees are happy with the job placement outcome.